2/01/2007

Czech glass buttons

I won a few glass dragonfly buttons on eBay... seller was located in the Czech Republic...I HAD to have these. I could 'see' their potential. I took one dragonfly button (you can see one just above the blue mold on the left), and used a Ranger product called Mold n' Pour. Mold n' Pour is a two-part silicone based product, and when equal portions are kneaded together for about 30 seconds one can shape the product around a stationary object. About ten minutes later you have a flexible mold that holds the object's detail. Heat-resistant up to 800 degrees (yes, that is kiln temperature!) and entirely flexible. I have molded portions of statues, my daughter's horse figures, Barbie dolls, you name it - prior to the product setting up I recommend flattening the base/bottom of the mold so it will remain level on your worksurface...so you can use it with liquid.... namely UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Powder - another Ranger product - for more info I recommend visiting www.rangerink.com). To make the journal above, I tightly fed black polymer clay into the flexible mold (the snazzy blue mold at lower left of the photo), then peeled the mold away from the clay. Baked then highlighted portions with a bit of Rub n' Buff. Because the mold is silicone based you do not need a release agent - purtty kewl, eh!? NOTE: I took another class with Suze Weinberg (developer of UTEE/melting pot/etc) a few months ago and she informed the class Mold 'n Pour has been reformulated and new production features purple and white - old formula is blue and white. I have not seen the new formula for sale anywhere but thought I'd pass this tidbit along... Notebook is from Target; arrow is 7gypsies; paper is Basic Grey. The clay base was created by rolling sheets of polymer clay through a dedicated pasta machine on the highest setting, then cutting into shapes desired. I used liquid sculpey to adhere the layers together prior to baking. Holes were drilled prior to baking for the attachment of brads. 'dream' stamp Inkadinkado and 'Journal' is a TAC stamp. Complete, baked pendant was adhered to covered notebook with E-6000. These bulletin board tacks were created by pouring molten UTEE (black) from my Melting Pot (Ranger) into the mold, then allowing to harden and cool then peeling the mold away from the hardened UTEE. I used Perfect Pearls to change the base color and highlight the dragonfly. Using E-6000 I adhered a super-jumbo tack (WalMart) on the back. The grid sheet background you see in the photo is in 1/4" increments - these are well over 1" in diameter. The cat loves to pull them off of the kitchen desk bulletin board- lol...

5 comments:

HB said...

Cindy, just for a minute I would love to crawl into your brain and capture your creative thought process. WOW! just isn't a strong enough word to express what my eyes are seeing. Probably more like the WOW! one expresses when seeing a glorious 4th of July fireworks display. Total Amazement!!!

DeniseLynn said...

Incredible ... thanks for sharing your fabulous ideas. I am way impressed.

Debbie Olson said...

So clever, unique, and creative--great job, Cindy!

Beth said...

YOu had me at Czech Republic!

Valerie said...

Hey, I'm Czech! I LOVE seeing this again, it is such a terrific journal and so Cindy!