4/06/2007

Watercolor stamping

I have discovered that emergency gifts often turn out better than if one tried to plan a gift. When I refer to 'emergency gift' - I am referring to those last-minute gifts that one would create in minutes, simply because one lacks TIME. Well, this gift was one of those. I took a large Fabriano notecard and created a holder for six smaller, stamped Fabriano notecards and six envelopes. These larger Fabrianos are new to the store: they measure 6-3/4" x 4-1/2" folded - they are a nice, big size. I scored the open end one side of the large card in one inch, then stapled the card together on each side, just below the score mark. Position the top part of the staple on the back of the folded card, and the 'teeth' part of the staple on the card front, so the 'teeth' are hidden under the flap! This idea is from Her Royal Rubberness, JulieHRR. Fold the 1" flap down to conceal the staple 'teeth'. Nice, easy pocket card. I then tied a length of 3/8" sheer olive May Arts ribbon around the pocket and on top of the 1"fold to anchor it down, then inserted the stamped smaller Fabriano notecards & envelopes into the pocket created. Now, for the six notecards: I stamped each with a floral image from Stampin' Up's Petal Prints set. Using the brushstroke side of dye based markers, ink up the rubber. Spritz inked rubber once with water, stamp onto Fabriano card front twice, so you achieve two generations - one full strength and one slightly lighter, one image slightly askew from the other. Immediately heat set the pools of color with a heat tool. In my opinion, heat setting gives a more realistic watercolor effect than if you allow the stamped image to air dry. Next, I inked the stamped flowers with Perfect Medium (you could also use VersaMark) from Ranger, then sprinkled on clear Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE). Using a fine, dry paintbrush swipe away any UTEE in areas undesired. Heat set until melted & allow to cool only a few seconds. Using UTEE will provide a 'raindrop' effect on the petals. A finer embossing powder will not yield this desired result. I learned this from Susan Pickering Rothemel of USArtQuest.
Lastly, using a dry paintbrush and gold Perfect Pearls, I highlighted the tips of the flowers, allowing the warm UTEE and excess Perfect Medium to grip the Pearls. This gave the effect of sunshine and a glowing aura around the blossoms.
Perfect Pearls products contain a binder so it is not necessary to apply a fixative. Please use caution to avoid this product from becoming airborne. This same watercolor & highlighting stamping technique was also performed on the large Fabriano pocket. Fabriano notecards - one large and 6 small, 6 small envelopes; SU floral stamp, Hero Arts sentiment; Perfect Medium pad, Archival pad in black (both from Ranger); SU markers in amethyst, eggplant and olive; fine spritz bottle w/water; May Arts ribbon, staples & stapler, clear Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel.

23 comments:

Valerie said...

Just three words, well an acryonym:

OMG!

Adding a couple more:
YOU ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, these are just absolutely breathtaking! Thank you for sharing all the details!

Unknown said...

These are GORGEOUS!! I saw the large notecards in your store earlier today and talked myself out of them as I do have a nice stock of both of the other sizes :) You just blew my good intentions out of the water! Thanks again for sharing all the details!

Shabbychick Junk said...

THESE ARE BEYOND INCREDIBLE!

Anonymous said...

WOW !! This project is taking my breath away. I have to repeat VAL - You Rock !! :)

Natasha said...

Wow! I cannot get over how realistic those look! Amazing! Thanks for the details!

Anonymous said...

I'm studying at the feet of the master! I dare not lose track of this post. These flowers are incredible! Thank you for sharing your technique!

Jenn said...

OMG!!!! Gorgeous Cindy Lou!!! I need some of these cards!!

Beth said...

I am crying with delight! CRYING! These are so beautiful Cindy - just stunningly beautiful! So incredible! Put me down for one bottle of each!

Rose Ann said...

I totally agree with all of the previous comments....WOW! These couldn't be prettier! Thanks for sharing the process.

skyviewstamper said...

WOW, these are beautiful!! So simple but yet soooo elegant!! Thanks for all the details!

Bevie Pearl said...

These are the most amazing cards!! You create art and I am in awe of what I see you create.

Trudee said...

OMG Cindy, these take my breath away!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Girl...my jaw dropped to the floor. The card and notecard holder look amazing. Your watercoloring is incredible. I have to go back and drool some more!
Happy Easter sweet friend!

Sharon Harnist said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Cindy!

Ashley said...

Cindy - this set of notecards and holder is absolutely marvelous! LOVE the watercoloring. Thank you for your step-by-step directions.

As Valerie said: YOU ROCK!!!

Ticia said...

WOW I have never seen such a clean looking card give such a wow effect. Great work!!!

Ladystamper said...

These are beautiful!!! I can't believe you did such awesome art with stamps I own! I will be trying these for sure. I'm new to your blog...but I'll be adding you to my favorites!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Just gorgeous!!! Holy Cow...

broni said...

Oh my! I'm speechless at how beautiful these are. Just incredible! Thanks so much for sharing the instructions!

Joan said...

Well, I guess these are all right, if you like PERFECTION!!!

ps. ugh just bought these large note cards elsewhere 'cause I didn't know YOU had them. Well, now I know!

Loretta said...

These cards are beautiful and I love the watercolor affect! This is something that I will definitely have to try and I have that set too!