10/21/2007

sweet tooth

OK I'll confess. I have a sweet tooth. I love chocolate and candy to the point, that if I gave them up, I would probably lose about 20 pounds. But I won't. You only go around once (OK maybe some of us have been around more than once), and my self-professed love for sugar can not be denied. My mom tried to keep all refined sugar from me when I was a toddler. No potato chips. And TV was forbidden too. Oh yeah, mom sewed all my clothes too... she was a regular Martha Stewart to the point she even washed, carded, dyed (organic dyes too, like you had to ask), spun and wove clothing out of local sheep fleeces. I could spin wool and weave when I was eight. Those great wheels were no problem cuz I am left-handed. We did demos and exhibited at various local festivals. I loved our Louet wheel and we also had an Ashford style wheel too. Then one day, my Uncle Ned popped a piece of chocolate into my mouth while we were visiting him and my Aunt Ruth. I was two. I don't remember it, but my mom said my face lit up and she knew I was ruined. I love my Uncle Ned. Amid websurfing, I came across a kewl site: http://www.yummyearth.com/. Founded by two dads. They are based here in New Jersey (or Noi Joisey as we say here...and you must say it through the nose...lol) too. Two dads, wanting to find good candy for their kids. Healthy. No refined sugar. Sounds a bit like my mum. OK so I found these at my local grocery store here in Jersey. 23 calories each one. AND IT TASTES LIKE SUGAR. This is the best dang lollipop I have EVER tasted. I ordered the biggie lollipop kit from their website to give out at Halloween this year. "authentic true-fruit flavors and all seemed intrigued by their ingredients— truly unconventional for delicious candy—such as Japanese purple carrots for color instead of chemical color dyes; real fruit extracts instead of artificial chemical flavors; organic evaporated cane juice instead of yucky processed sugar; and organic tapioca syrup instead of synthetic high fructose corn syrup." OK so 'organic tapioca syrup' does not sound too terribly appealing. But these lollipops are incredible. Yummy Earth is being spread by word-of-mouth, but mine is closed around a Mango Tango pop right now...

1 comment:

Lisa Bukata said...

ENABLER! I just ordered a bunch not only for my 4 sweet -tooth kids, but to share with a friend's son who is severely allergic to almost everything!